The Real Work(shops)
It is paramount to us that, in our workshops, we discuss real life s**t...and how we relate to ourself, others, and the world is as about as real as it gets, people.
These workshops are robust with real tools and life skills that, when learned, cultivated, and practiced, can transform the way you move in relationship...and in the world.
We will explore multiple aspects of communication, current patterns that shape what we perceive and how we respond to others, as well as experiential practices, group discussions, and therapeutically dynamic movement practices that support improved quality and connection in our personal, professional and intimate relationships.
These workshops are not yoga-based. You do not have to practice (or even like) yoga to get something valuable from these unique opportunities in discussing what it's like to be human.
the art of relating
costa rica retreat | february 11-15, 2019
with Kevin McQuillan & Serena Arora
We all know what relationship success feels like. And, of course, we know all too well what the opposite feels like too. When relationships take a sordid twist into blame and resistance, or a downward spiral into resentment and disconnection, it is an uncomfortable situation to say the least. And, to make things worse, instead of knowing how to move into the discomfort with conflict resolution confidence, instead you find yourself trying to numb the pain, avoiding the issue or attempting to distract yourself from the experience. And, despite your best intentions for deeper levels of connection, you are simply left feeling defensive, hurt, and misunderstood; all leading to prolonged confusion, unhappiness, chaos and despair. This dynamic significantly costs us quality of relationship and leaves us feeling even more disconnected in our relationships.
Well, what if we told you that being successful in relationships can be LEARNED? That, by implementing these tools, learning, and practicing these skills, you can generate greater confidence and levels of connection and intimacy, use your voice to feel heard and understood, and even help those around you to feel the same?
Sounds good, right?
Well, here’s the truth - great relationships don’t come naturally - they must be created, pursued and nurtured.
Sometimes we hear people say, "I'm not giving up, I'll just try harder". But if you try harder doing the same things that you have always done, then you will get the same results. Successful relating means learning to adapt. And, in order to do that, we need to change old habits, patterns and practices. Without that you are in fact giving up, regardless of what you believe.
One reason for relationship dissatisfaction is due to the fact that we allow our current relationships to be filtered through our past; meaning that we treat others how we think we know relationships to be, and these preconceived judgements undoubtedly hinder how we think, listen and communicate now. Setting the intention to clear the past and to step into present relationships, just as they are, as well as feeling grounded in reality and eager to contribute, is the first step to having extraordinary relationships.
WHY THIS RETREAT IS different:
This retreat is not a quick fix because, first of all, you are not broken. Secondly, nothing is broken. We simply believe that real relating is a creative process and, from our perspective, an art. Relating to others means engaging with others with compassion and fullness in your listening, as well as increased precision and power in your speaking. It is feeling aligned to your personal values while connecting with others more effectively, passionately, and powerfully. This is the Art of Relating.
We have developed an integrated model of living well that supports greater overall well-being and can help disrupt habits that reinforce feeling stuck, numb, overwhelmed, or unfulfilled. However, learning this art will require a commitment on your part to seek clarity in how you habitually and pathologically sabotage relationships through communication patterns that leave you feeling overwhelmed, devalued, and unheard.
During this 5-day retreat, we will explore multiple aspects of communication, current patterns that shape how we perceive and respond to others, as well as experiential practices, group discussions, and therapeutically dynamic movement practices that support self-care, as well as improved quality and connection in our personal, professional and intimate relationships. These workshops are not yoga-based. You do not have to practice (or even like) yoga to get something valuable from these unique opportunities in discussing what it's like to be human.
We are very proud of this offering and are confident that you will gain meaningful results by joining us. This is about mastering the art of relating while co-creating high-quality relationships - versus just hanging around in mediocre relationships until their demise. Because, who really wants to be mediocre? And so, why choose it then?
* The retreat is designed to address two key distinctions within relationship; winning versus connecting. We will look at the how, in any given situation, we have a choice to strive to be right and in control (win) or connect through curiosity and understanding.
* Reveal your personal sabotage strategies that limit your effectiveness in relationship, learn why these once worked and how they no longer serve you, and achieve new depths of vulnerability, emotional compassion, expression and equilibrium.
* Identify the coping mechanisms that you use in order to deal with emotional distress and learn how to establish habits that are more aligned with your core values; breaking through to new levels of connection and vitality.
* Explore societal gender-related messages that impede connection and define your own relationship within feminine and masculine qualities of communication; evolving your capability to observe, listen, express, and contribute with grace and love.
* Gather insight into why you do the things you do, understand and appreciate different communication styles, and improve your ability to interact with people more effectively; gaining new clarity, power and freedom in living true to your self and to your purpose in the world.
* Identify relationship stages, and learn practices for continued expansion (including in self-care, active listening and love languages) that will support intimacy, connection and sex - all designed to nourish your body and spirit through connection, movement, exploration and play in the Costa Rican sun and sea!
Relationship to yourself
Discover your personal communication patterns, learn why you do what you do, and implement sustainable self-care practices into your daily routine. With this newfound awareness of self, you can transform the way you show up in life.
RELATionship to others
Others are simply our mirrors. A reflection of how we are sharing ourselves in the world. They can show us exactly what we need to learn and, with curiosity and practice, the possibility for more clarity and growth is right in front of us.
How many chances do we get in life to create truly deep and meaningful connections? Maybe only a few. So, learn what it takes to cultivate true intimacy and closeness with another, and co-create loving partnership…now. Why wait?
your retreat includes:
4 nights double-shared accommodations at Peace Retreat
2 delicious meals per day (breakfast and lunch)
1 SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) excursion
All discussions, skill building exercises, and movement integration and processing
Round-trip Group Transportation from the Liberia airport